Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Picky Eaters--Are They a Result of Nature or Nurture? Part I

Are you one of the thousands of parents who wonder why your kid is the only picky eater on the block? Do you wonder if it's something you did or perhaps didn't do?


If so, you're not alone. It's just one more reason to feel guilty as a parent, and unfortunately we have to endure other parents' tales of how their Johnny likes broccoli for dessert!!

Yes, I have experienced picky eating habits first hand--first when my kids were toddlers and now again as teens. They weren't extremely picky--probably because we didn't nurture the pickiness, we gave positive reinforcement when they were open to new foods.

There are other things at play too--DNA, a struggle for independence, and parents' expectations and reactions can all add to the whole picky eating routine.


Stay tuned for more on this topic--which can sometimes drive parents close to the edge...

1 comment:

matou said...

Dear Ms. Swinney,

I read your book Healthy Food for Healthy Kids and enjoyed it very much. I recommended it to some friends and one of them sent me some conflicting information regarding fluoride. I have only spent a few hours researching this topic so far, but I am definitely going to educate myself further before choosing a side. I have to say that so far what I have read offers a pretty strong and logical argument against the use of fluoride. At first I assumed that it was just a few naysayers, but the more I read the more the scale is starting to tip...

I would appreciate it very much if you were to look into this topic further with an open mind to both sides and if possible, I would love to hear back from you.

Thank you very much for your time, I appreciate your concern for children's health.

Best wishes,
Mrs. Christian Anderson

http://www.fluoridealert.org/statement.august.2007.html

http://www.malibutimes.com/articles/2007/11/07/editorial/letters/letter4.txt

http://www.fluoridation.com/

http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/pediatricks/fluoride.asp